Friday, September 15, 2006

Fox Forward Begins

Today was the first day of the Fox Forward Developer's Conference in Atlanta. The conference has really started off with a bang with the presentations I saw tonight. I want to thank Kevin Cully for bringing a conference to the Southeast. He has taken some criticism for his efforts that I think is unwarranted. I have been to a number of Devcons in various parts of the country, but there's never been one so convenient for me to get to. It doesn't make sense for there to be "regional" Devcons, but only in other regions of the country. Once again, thanks to Kevin and those who helped him!

I'm not sure I could review every presentation I see at the level of detail others do or even comment on every session I attend, but I will try to make some comments here and there. I went to Bo Durban's presentation on Creating Custom Report Controls in VFP 9.0 and enjoyed it. I've read a number of articles and so forth about the new features of the report writer, but I haven't gotten my hands dirty with it yet. Bo's presentation gave me more exposure to it, and I'm sure it will help me do more with it when I get to the reporting phase of the current app I'm constructing in VFP 9 (which is my first using that version).

Craig Boyd gave his Visual Foxpro World Domination Tour presentation in the second and final session of the first day. I'm not sure why I hadn't heard about his presentation skills before because he was quite inspiring. He exudes lots of energy and has clearly done quite a bit for the Foxpro community with his contributions. I knew about some of them, but I don't think I realized just how much he has done. If you wade through his past blog entries you will find a ton of stuff that you can download. I'll have to make some time to go through that.

Not sure if I can check in here every day, but we'll see how it goes...

No comments: